Hemingway- Entry #1

Friday, August 6, 2010 10:55 AM Posted by Emily Looney
With the due date for these blogs only a week away...I suppose I should actually start to type them up.

"I can't stand it to think my life is going so fast and I'm not really living it," [page 18]

Ahh yes. Never have there been truer words than Robert Cohn's. Honestly, that's kind of how I have been feeling lately with the summer ending, school beginning, and college applications becoming available. It's always nice to know that you are not the only one who is afraid that life is going to catch up with them.

Robert Cohn. Not one of my favorite people. I like him more at the very very beginning of the novel in which he is a boxer at Princeton and is still somewhat likeable. Then of course he changes and becomes more arrogant because of the abuse he receives since he is Jewish. It's truly amazing to me how the world can decide to pick on a certain race or religion with nothing to back it. Why do they/we put so much energy into hating other people? It just seems so pointless and silly when you think about it--and yet it still continues and always will. I'm just sick of discrimination and people not accepting others. Can't the world just get a grip and grow up? Show a little maturity and professionalism toward the rest of the world.

Okay, off my soap box now.
On to the next one! :]

2 Response to "Hemingway- Entry #1"

  1. Caitlin Schmoll Says:

    This same quote stuck out to me as well. This has never felt truer to me than right now. I feel that my life is rushing by without me really living it! My high school years have gone by so fast and I'm sure this year will as well. I feel that through this quote I can relate Cohn and how he is feeling because I have felt the same way! I also agree with the second part of your blog! It's ridiculous how much discrimination and hate we have in the world. You would think that with all the leaps and bounds that have been made and all the tragedy we have had because of discrimination people would learn and change their ways, but apparently that's just too difficult to do.

  2. Emily Looney Says:

    I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants a little more love in this world :] The Beatles and I are on the same page here in that aspect.

Post a Comment