Entry #13

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:52 AM Posted by Emily Looney
"While we were waiting I saw a cockroach on the parquet floor that must have been at least three inches long. I pointed him out to Bill and then put my shoe on him." [page 97]

This is a nice little euphemism thrown in here by Hemingway to make it sound like Jake is a bit more humane to rodents. I'd have done the same thing though. Killed the cockroach that is.

I do like that Hemingway is slightly random with the things he speaks about. It definitely makes Jake and some of the other characters seem more real. Jake's thought process is relatable because he jumps from one thought to the next, sometimes completely random. The fact that Hemingway throws in that Jake killed a cockroach while waiting for Cohn made me like him a little more. Not necessarily the book, but Hemingway as a writer. He's very clever with certain things he throws in as well, especially the ironic/sarcastic elements of the dialogue. The character Bill is kind of the sidekick, funny character who is just always being sarcastic. He's my favorite character, while Jake on the other hand is not because as amusing as his thoughts are, he's spineless when it comes to Brett.

1 Response to "Entry #13"

  1. Mr. Costello Says:

    check

Post a Comment