Entry #8

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 8:19 AM Posted by Emily Looney
Two of my favorite literary terms!!! Woo!!!!

"Try and take it sometime. Try and take it." [page 39].

A lovely alliteration we have here. This sounds stupid but alliterations are probably my favorite literary devices because they sound poetic and roll off the tongue. Whenever I write, I try to use as many alliterations as possible because I like the way it sounds. Assonance, on the other hand, I am not a fan of. I don't think it sounds as good as alliteration does. It's also more difficult to pick out because it doesn't automatically stand out.

"I say, I must borrow your glasses to-morrow."
"How did it go?"
"Wonderfully! Simply perfect. I say, it is a spectacle!" [page 169].

I love puns...no matter how bad they are, but this one is actually a good one! Hemingway has an odd sense of humor that makes it difficult to figure out whether or not he is trying to make something funny/punny or not. He has a ironic and sarcastic way of writing that can occasionally be difficult to decipher. Anyway, Brett was speaking to Mike about borrowing his glasses to watch Romero more closely and Mike was calling it a spectacle. Get it? :] That made me laugh when I read it...probably didn't make anyone else laugh though. Oh well, you have to find some way to get through things :]

1 Response to "Entry #8"

  1. Mr. Costello Says:

    check

Post a Comment