Entry #11

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:15 AM Posted by Emily Looney
Characters, characters, characters!

There are not twenty main characters in this book, but there are many that are mentioned fleetingly with a bit of a story with them.

"Do you still love me Jake?"
"Yes," I said.
"Because I'm a goner...I'm a goner. I'm mad about the Romero boy. I'm in love with him, I think." [page 187].

The bull-fighting Romero foils the protagonist Jake Barnes.
Here's a little breakdown of both characters that I have come up with.
Romero
suave
19 years old
in shape
Spanish
Bull fighter
loves Brett
Barnes
tortured soul
mid-30s
his physical status is not actually mentioned, but I imagine him as average
American
writer/journalist
loves Brett
Brett is quite the man's lady as it seems that every guy she meets falls in love with her. What a wonderful disease. I won't lie, that would get old quickly if I were her.
Romero is basically the opposite of Barnes in every aspect except that they both love Brett. They both have a great love for bullfighting, but Barnes doesn't have anything to do with the actual fighting. He is an "aficionado," which is a wonderful word to say :]. Jake seems to be the brooding, tortured soul, but Romero is the suave, awesome, popular jock that everybody wants to be friends with. Personally, I think I like Jake more than Romero because Jake is older and has had more experience in the world, especially since he has seen the tragedy of war to deal with.

1 Response to "Entry #11"

  1. Mr. Costello Says:

    not much of a comparison!

Post a Comment