Entry #14

Thursday, August 12, 2010 6:04 AM Posted by Emily Looney
Brett is a very interesting character with multiple levels to her personality. She is a static character in this story because she starts out as an independent, slightly crazy woman who refuses to be with who she actually loves, and she manages to not change throughout the entire story.

When she is described, it is very ironic to me because I believe she is the opposite of how every man sees her. I feel as if Jake is the only one who truly sees her for who she is and that is why he can love her for so long without her love in return.

"There's a certain quality about her, a certain fineness. She seems to be absolutely fine and straight." [page 46]

I cannot see Brett as fine and straight as Cohn describes her, because she acts just the opposite.

The Count then says, "Mr. Barnes, she is the only lady I have ever known who was as charming when she was drunk as when she was sober." [page 66].

I'm not a fan of her alcohol problem and the fact that she kind of gets rewarded because of it. Well, Brett is a difficult character to handle I suppose. I think she irritates me the most because everyone puts up with her because of her looks and her charm so it is difficult for her to change because no one is forcing her to.

1 Response to "Entry #14"

  1. Mr. Costello Says:

    check

Post a Comment