Entry #10

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:00 AM Posted by Emily Looney
I have learned to love juxtapositions as well as alliterations ever since last year in Mrs. Sander's class when it took me forever to understand what a juxtaposition actually was. Now that I understand them, I find them quite often.

"And if he marries me, like he's always promised he would, that would be the end of all the romance."

On page 58, Frances is speaking to Jake about Cohn's behavior toward her lately. They have been an item for many years and she is expecting marriage. Unfortunately, she knows that he will not marry her and is planning on leaving her. You would think that marriage would be the beginning of romance, but not in Frances and Cohn's case. Cohn changed in college because he was outcasted, so he had to become very tough. I feel like this gives him relationship problems with nearly everyone. Oh well, Frances is a money seeker anyway.

"We have got the loveliest hotel," Mike said. "I think it's a brothel!" [page 89].

This quote is just weird. Mike is weird character though because he is enagaged to Lady Brett, who is known for her promiscuity, and yet he has every intention of still marrying her no matter her affairs. He calls her out on the affair she has with Romero and other men that she encounters, but he does not say he wants to break off the marriage. Plus, he tends to be drunk all the time [but who isn't in this novel?], and he is constantly bankrupt.

1 Response to "Entry #10"

  1. Mr. Costello Says:

    I ain't saying she's a gold digger

Post a Comment