Entry #12

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:34 AM Posted by Emily Looney
Lady Brett and Jake Barnes share a difficult love. He definitely loves her and wants to spend his life with her, but she pushes him away. She is extremely contradictory though because she often expresses her love for him.

"Told him I was in love with you. True too. Don't look like that. He was damn nice about it. Wants to drive us out to dinner to-morrow night. Like to go?" [page 41].

She just baffles me. I mean, I'm a girl and she truly confuses me. She acts like it's not her fault that she is promiscuous and that she cannot control her cheating...but she definitely can. And there is no good reason why she shouldn't get married to Jake. Ever since her "true" lover died, she seems to have been a mess. I think it's a call for attention. Not that I'm a psychologist or anything. Brett is obviously a beautiful woman who has a lot going for her, but she is also quite the alcoholic. It's crazy how people who look like they have it all together on the outside are usually the ones the most screwed up on the inside. Everyone has a past, and that past is not always an enjoyable one.

3 Response to "Entry #12"

  1. Margaret Says:

    This passage confused me too. Actually, her whole character kind of confused me. But your call for attention idea actually makes a lot of sense. One man's attention isn't enough for her. I think it's probably just a self esteem issue.

  2. Michelle Eads Says:

    I liked your statement "It's crazy how people who look like they have it all together on the outside are usually the ones the most screwed up on the inside." I could not agree more! I think Brett served as a prime example of that. She was definitely one troubled lady.

  3. Mr. Costello Says:

    is there a bad reason for her not being with Jake?

Post a Comment