Entry #20

Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:25 AM Posted by Emily Looney
Ahh the final lines of the novel make the book slightly worth it. While I did not like this book much at all, I loved the ending.

"Oh Jake," Brett said, "we could have had such a damned good time together."
Ahead was a mounted policeman in khaki directing traffic. He raised his baton. The car slowed suddenly pressing Brett against me.
"Yes," I said. "Isn't it pretty to think so?"

That's just a wonderful line to end on. I feel encouraged after Jake's last line because he seems to have seen somewhat of a new light. I think he is saying to her, well it's your fault we aren't together so don't complain to me. At the same time, he sounds somewhat like Bogart in an old time movie. "Isn't it pretty to think so?" It can mean so much, but it's up to the reader to interpret what would come next. Yes, it's a beautiful vision to pretend like they are in love, but if they were still in love they would not be having that conversation. Brett must have not been loved enough as a child because I don't think she is fully capable of true love.

All in all, I am extremely happy that I am finished with this book because it was kind of torturous to read this. I loved O'Brien's book, but Hemingway...not my style. My favorite part of the entire book was the ending--not just because it's over, but because of that final line.

Thank you, Jake, for making my reading experience a bit more worthwhile.

:] Seeya on Monday Costello!

2 Response to "Entry #20"

  1. Nick Says:

    Definitely agree- the last line was the best. Other than that my interest was elsewhere when I was reading. I guess Hemingway was focused on a different audience...

  2. Mr. Costello Says:

    check

Post a Comment