Entry to show that I haven't forgotten about blogging...

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 10:22 PM Posted by Emily Looney
I have decided to take a different approach to the second novel's blogs. I'm basically going to read through the book, make notes, then blog about it. I started doing that toward the end of The Things They Carried and I found out that I understood much more.

I'm about halfway into The Sun Also Rises...and I definitely don't like it as much as I liked The Things They Carried. Oh well. You win some, you lose some.

Buuuut...fun fact! One of the books I got on my birthday is called Girlfriend Material by Melissa Kantor [it's a quick-read, teenage summer love book], but the main character, or protagonist if you want to get fancy, is obsessed with reading and literature. That's not the cool part though. Her favorite book that she quotes the throughout the entire book is The Sun Also Rises by none other than Ernest Hemingway. She often compares herself to Lady Brett Ashley in that she is an independent woman and seems to have trouble settling.

Anyway, I thought that was pretty cool. And it was kind of a sign that I should finish this book soon.

Off to go read! :]

2 Response to "Entry to show that I haven't forgotten about blogging..."

  1. Claire Curtis Says:

    I don't know what person could possibly be so obsessed with The Sun Also Rises, but I suppose that's why it's only a character in Girlfriend Material. Keep on reading! Just when you think something new will happen in The Sun Also Rises, it doesn't :)

  2. Emily Looney Says:

    Oh yes. Nothing exciting happened haha. Actually, I do love the ending lines though. It reminds me of a Humphrey Bogart-type line like in Casablanca.

Post a Comment