Entry #7

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 7:41 PM Posted by Emily Looney
Wow, I feel like I'm booking it along on these posts right now. Thank you Summer Field Study car rides :]

Going back to the man of the year, Elroy Berdahl, I love his knowledge. He truly seems to know..well..everything! He seems like he is a lonely character, yet at the same time he is perfectly content being "married" to his Lodge, per se. I wonder if he was married at one point and his wife passed away. There's so many questions I myself would like to ask him. He comes off as a very interesting man.

In the middle of the fourth chapter On The Rainy River, O'Brien simply says,

"The man knew." [page 51]

I love it. I love that O'Brien can convey so much with three simple words. He efficiently shows that Berdahl is a man wiser than his years. Berdahl is like the best grandpa in the world. He would be the kind of man to sneak his grandchilden candy when their parents said no. Who knows? Maybe he does actually have grandchildren and children! I sure hope so. I also hope he has read this book. Maybe then he will realize, if he had not already, what kind of impact he had on O'Brien and other people I'm sure he met.

1 Response to "Entry #7"

  1. Mr. Costello Says:

    must be the smooth driving that's helping your productivity!

Post a Comment