Entry #5

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 7:20 PM Posted by Emily Looney
When I read the first chapter, I believed the protagonist to be Lieutenant Jimmy Cross. Much to my surprise as I read on, I realized that Tim O'Brien was the true main character. He is the "hero" of the story who has good times, bad times, weaknesses, strengths, and confused feelings in this novel. I believe that O'Brien wrote this character based on himself and his war background with more truth than exaggeration on the things character O'Brien goes through.

"Twenty-one years old, an ordinary kid with all the ordinary dreams and ambitions, and all I wanted was to live the life I was born to-- a mainstream life..." [page 48]

O'Brien recounts on how he didn't want to have to turn into an adult until he absolutely had to. He was forced into making difficult decisions before he felt like he was ready. He was simply searching for himself in a world that was requiring him to stand up and fight for his liberty. O'Brien's flaw, that I'm hoping will not be fatal, is that he is afraid of war. Basically, he's a human with feelings.

1 Response to "Entry #5"

  1. Mr. Costello Says:

    check

Post a Comment