Othelloooooo

Thursday, January 27, 2011 10:14 PM Posted by Emily Looney
Yeah, I just didn't know what I wanted to title this, so that looked appropriate.

So I must say that overall, I enjoyed Othello...but that doesn't come as too much of a surprise to me because I like most of Shakespeare's works that I have read. This one in particular is very different though because of the evil character. It is not told in the evil character's point of view, but it definitely is more objectively limited to Iago. Iago's plans are often spelled out for the most part in his asides and he is the focal point of the story since he is making the story flow. Without Iago, as annoying and cruel as he is, Othello would not even be a story. Well, I suppose it could be a story but it would be kind of boring since Othello and Desdemona are basically the "perfect couple" who "ran away together because they were so in love" type thing, but Iago definitely spiced things up a bit. It kind of ticks me off though just because Iago should have gotten what's coming to him. Cassio pretty much can do what ever he wants with Iago but that is all open for interpretation after the story ends. Overall, Othello has a huge lesson about jealousy and how it can be provoked if the facts aren't checked and the right people are not listened to. If Othello could have listened to his wife and figured out what was going on, he may not have made the rash decision to kill her and then himself. If he would have seen through Iago's deceit then he may not have ended up dead by the end of the story. Othello is a pretty good story and I'm glad we read it :]

1 Response to "Othelloooooo"

  1. Mr. Costello Says:

    Without Iago, it'd be a romantic comedy!

Post a Comment