I taste a liquor never brewed by Emily Dickenson

Thursday, September 16, 2010 9:44 PM Posted by Emily Looney
My fellow Emily has got to be the coolest yet oddest [is that a word..?] poet from whom I have ever read material.

She just does what she wants. I kind of admire that about her even though I think she was kind of psycho. I know we aren't supposed to focus on the way she writes, but her capitalization truly drives me insane. She capitalizes all of the nouns in the body of her poem and then decides to not capitalize the important words in the title. Talk about author's preferences.

Honestly...I don't understand this poem too well. I understand that she is using liquor as a metaphor or a symbol for something else...but it's difficult to decipher. She uses words such as brewed, Tankards, Vats, Alcohol, and Debauchee that are reminiscent of alcohol, but I'm still not positive what they are in reference to.

In group discussion I formed the idea that maybe this is about the rain. The clouds are "leaning against the sun" and they take in the unbrewed liquor [a.k.a. water] for a new rainfall that quenches the thirst of the Foxgloves and plants.

This poem really got me thinking...and then confused me :/

2 Response to "I taste a liquor never brewed by Emily Dickenson"

  1. Samman226 Says:

    The poem is simply about Dickinson's euphoric feelings towards nature, which is her "liquor." She virtually implies that all of the blessings within nature bring her to a state of drunken joy. I say this in a positive sense, and I believe the title "I taste a liquor never brewed" reveals the idea that the liquor presented is intangible. Thus, nature must be her subject of wonder and whim.

  2. Samman226 Says:

    This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment